An excellent introduction to stretching and flexibility!
Stretching… for Bondage with Klawdya Rothschild
- Stretching prevents injury in activities demanding a high and varied range of motion. The reaches in tennis, sprints in basketball, quick bursts in martial arts demand high range of motion.
- Activities that consist of low intensity muscle contraction cycles, like biking and swimming need less flexibility, but stretching reduces the stiffness & soreness these activities cause.
- Flexibility decreases with age; stretching can help keep activities enjoyable with less discomfort..
What is Flexibility?
–A joint’s ability to move freely through a normal range of motion—not just do the splits.
Things that Affect Flexibility:
- the type of joint (some joints simply aren’t meant to be flexible)
- the elasticity of muscle tissue (scar tissue from previous injury is not very elastic)
- elasticity of tendons and ligaments (ligaments don’t stretch much and tendons shouldn’t)
- the elasticity of skin (skin has some degree of elasticity, but…
View original post 558 more words